Tuesday, February 28, 2006

A Good Man

I called him. He sounded interested. Said we could meet the next day, over lunch.

He didn’t show. I was frustrated – I’d left a crazy day at work to meet with him. I was disappointed – I was counting on him. He’d come highly recommended, after all.

I’ve recently resumed my search for the perfect handyman. The city cited me for a few little things (yes, the city has building inspectors who are charged with reviewing one-third of their territory annually, and no, I’m not in the hood nor do I live in a shanty).

Another contractor sent me an elaborate cd-rom after I called for a bid. Not only did they not use correct postage (I had to pay an additional twelve cents to the mailman) but it was a generic audio message outlining their menu of services. I already knew about their services – I had called them. I wanted a bid, not a marketing piece! Needless to say, I didn’t call them again either.

It’s funny how differently tradesmen operate. Some can’t even show up to bid, while others have a (poorly executed) marketing strategy. Also amazing to obtain three bids from three companies, with a $1500 cost variance for (allegedly) the same project!

I am always wary when it comes to home repairs – I waver somewhere between the ‘you get what you pay for’ and ‘are you ripping me off because I’m a single girl’? Always a dilemma.

So, while I’ve logged on to Angie’s List and surveyed a few friends for recommendations, I’m still searching for a few good men to help with house projects, present and future. I welcome any recommendations, btw.

No comments: