Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Two minutes worth?

Earlier this week I shook up my routine by driving a different way to work. Instead of taking mostly residential streets and rolling through the numerous stop signs posted on every city block, I headed straight north to the highway. I was feeling lucky, deep in my gut I felt that today the stop lights were timed in my favor and would prove more expeditious than the usual path. (Especially since I tend to procrastinate in the morning and then careen my way to work.) Overall it was a good decision - I hit only one red - right at the underpass and the highway entrance.

As we do when we're in different surroundings, I looked around a little more than I usually do. And it paid off. Facing me, going south, was a driver who was BRUSHING HIS TEETH at the stop light. Going to town on the teeth - up, down, left, right - he was brushing. Completely unaware that most perform this activity prior to leaving home. He wasn't totally prepared though - he didn't have any water to rinse. So instead he did a quick spit out the window and accelerated when the light turned green. I wonder if the tube of toothpaste was in the passenger seat, or if he loaded up the brush before leaving home?

Who knew? Who would ever think of driving and brushing - their teeth? I've seen women put on mascara while driving which is equally alarming, perhaps more so ... if you were to get in an accident - yuck. Brushing your hair - ok, talking on cell - ok, teeth/mascara - inconceivable.

1 comment:

Holly Jamin said...

ohmygod this is SOOOO funny.

i love your posts.