Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Deployment

I always look forward to the state of the company meetings and various management communications at work, at Dilbertville. I can count on learning a few new corporate-speak buzzwords. I often take notes, capturing the hottest new terms. It amuses me. Each year, perhaps each quarter, there are new ones popping up. I think executives and consultants spend more time renaming things than OPI. Which, by the way, has fantastic polish names.

The latest buzzword I learned while catching up with a friend last week. Her company, which is going through significant restructuring, seems to have employed the word 'deployment.' As in you'll still have a job, we just don't where you'll be deployed. This evokes visions of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines - not corporate America, where business suits and heels are de rigueur. Images of Iraq, rather than Chicago or Manhattan.

Such a fascinating thing ... of course, leadership at all levels - including our federal government - tends to like to create big words to describe simple things. Who will soon forget 'axis of evil' and 'WMD'?

No comments: