Sunday, March 19, 2006

Write What You Know

They say to write what you know. Who are these people - the omniscient "they" anyway?

Considering I have a first draft of a totally unwritten story due in less than two weeks to my writers group, I need to kick start the creative juices. Today's exercise is to list, as quickly as possible, 101 places you've been. I've just dropped a handful in here, no need to bore you with the entire litany ... but hopefully my list-making activities will yield some start to a new story and not just another one of my favorite activities (list-making, as R reminded me last week!).

Places I've Been:
- The Moon (or something like it), a black sand beach, a glacier, an inactive volcano
- The Blue Grotto, the Dead Sea, the Cu Chi Tunnels, the top of the Arc de Triomphe, snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef
- Lost under the Eiffel Tower, paragliding & hiking in Switzerland, in a limo accident in DC, camel-back at the Pyramids
- Louisa May Alcott’s childhood home, Orchard House
- Project Greek Island and the Cabinet War Rooms
- Miserably sick in a hotel room and on an airplane
- In the minority
- In a bed that was previously a billiard table
- At the same restaurant, on Christmas Eve, as Helen Hunt & Hank Azaria
- Niagara Falls & Iquazu Falls
- Seen Leif Garrett perform (against my better judgment)
- Only child & a step-sister
- On crutches, on blind dates, camping (no likey)
- Adopt a Highway road cleaner-upper
- Telemarketer, receptionist & data entry person, president of an organization
- In a parade
- Two weddings/same marriage for my dad (first in a Lutheran church to wife #2, then postannulment service in “the church”)

No comments: