Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Late Adopter

Let's be frank. In general, I tend to be a bit of a late bloomer. Reckless, early adopter, trendsetter are more antonyms than synonyms for me. I purchased my first DVD player and home computer in the past year or so. At present I have no plans to add TIVO, DVR or cable/satellite at home - they'd be nice to have, but hardly mandatory. Plus, if I had more channels than just the broadcast ones, I'm not sure I'd ever be able to unglue myself from the boob tube.

I am also, in some ways, a bit of a progressive traditionalist. I have delayed my dive into e-dating for a long time, hoping to meet my mate in a more old fashioned way - without the aid of technology. Many of my fabulous singleton friends are dating with their digits with success, so I've gone from just dipping my toes to full submergence.

Instead of wasting time with blind dates and set ups - strained conversation, no chemistry, the 'what were they thinking when they set me up with HIM?' - some of this is bypassed, or is intended to be. And the bar scene is better suited to 20 somethings (been there, done that). So now I wade through the virtual meat market of men in my pjs, hair up, face washed, glasses on. The convenience of online communication & initial evaluation appeal to me, and many others. A handful of years ago, people who met via the internet would often hide that fact. It was rather 'racy' or 'weird' - at least in the Midwest (also known as SloMo by Temporary Digs and is thus oh-so-slow to get into the newest trends). I'm sure I'll have my share of gripes about it - but it is the channel of choice these days. And, let's face it, dating is both exciting - first date, first kiss, the honeymoon stage - and awful - bad dates, heartbreaks, and goons. I still wouldn't mind a Consumer Reports, Angie's List, car shopping approach to dating ...

1 comment:

Jen said...

I've also successfully (so far) fought off the urge for anything other than network TV. I'm like you - I fear I'd be glued to the couch all day long if I had anything else. It's bad enough as it is! Plus it's so darn expensive...