Friday, February 02, 2007

Over and Under

Just read Nikolai Gogol's short story, The Overcoat, and just beforehand read The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. The latter has a connection to the former. Pretty interesting, all in all. I'd recommend reading both. PLUS, The Namesake is going to be a movie soon - and the trailer looked quite good. Hopefully they'll keep it faithful to the novel.

And, back to the former, with winter in full swing, a heavy (over)coat is a necessity. Brrrrr ...

Overcoat is so not a word used today. Nor is underwear or underpants used in most business conversations, unless you work for an undergarment company, I suppose. And yet everyone has their particular way of referring to undergarments - my friend H in Seattle calls them "unders" while her husband refers to hers as "East German underwear." And there's something silly about the term underpants. It's highly underrated. Underwear and undergarments are overused.

Today at a business lunch "underpants" received some much needed air time. My colleague K and I have a bit of a game going (only when semi-appropriate). It all started when another colleague used this word in a meeting. The same meeting in which peeing on the third rail and the chance of electrocution was discussed.

Don't ask, as this makes it sound like I work for Michael Scott. And I don't. (I actually work for an inoffensive man with a very distinct laugh.) Needless to say, there were creative sorts in the meeting and, well, "underpants" was used. And now K and I (at least for this past week) have strategically inserted the term "underpants" within the context of any business gathering together.

Must say it's been a wonderfully silly diversion. And soon it will flee my vocabulary - down the chute, into the laundry basket.

No comments: