Friday, January 26, 2007

Are E-moticons E-masculating?

In the world of internet dating, there are a fair amount of freaks.

My friend M, who is also dating online, recently expressed frustration with the quality of men, her trials to remain open minded, only to be burned by bozos. Frustrated, she rattled off the latest offenses.

She surprised me by voicing a bias that I have: men who use emoticons. I must admit that I don't get why people use them so much. I know that email can be flat and subject to misinterpretation, BUT do we really need them? Aren't they kind of cheesy and effeminate?

Do real men use emoticons?

Maybe I was tormented by a smiley faced mylar balloon as a child and have since repressed it - but I must confess that those bouncy, yellow smiley faces that people add to emails and IMs spook me out. As for the static versions, a little goes a looong, long way. Two is two too many for me. No joke.

Another question: Is IM really all that? In a world of land lines and cell phones and text messaging and emails, do we really need another avenue of communication? I understand it's popular with the teens and certainly has a place in the work world, but ... My latest match wants to forego emailing for instant messaging. I'm trying to flexible, trying to get past his overuse of :) and ;)s in his messages - but when is it too much of not enough?

No comments: