Sunday, January 07, 2007

Brilliance

In writers group we each created a 500 word piece in the imperative. So all commands with the "you" understood. It amazed me how intimate and urgent each piece read. It was one of those odd a-ha moments which has lingered with me. In the exercise they referenced Lorrie Moore who wrote a collection of short stories, most of which are in the imperative, entitled "Self Help."

I read one of these stories online, "How to be a Writer," and then recalled a David Sedaris interview in which he recommended Lorrie Moore's collection, "Birds of America." I'm currently reading this collection. I love it. Not all are equally brilliant, but more than once I've found myself rereading the same story in one sitting - just to glean all that I can from it. Favorites so far are "Which is More Than I Can Say About Some People" and "Dance in America." She packs so much in a story that I'm amazed.

Last fall I saw David Sedaris speak. He complimented another writer and said that he wanted to type, each word, that the other had written - just to see how it felt to have such words and sentences spring from his hands. This resonated with me. Over the past armful of months I have felt this way. It's powerful. It's a passion that you ache to emulate - one way or another - at almost any cost. When a metaphor, simile, phrase, expression, sentence, paragraph or full story sings - to my ears only - a magical, elusive tune. It's brilliant.

Now if only I can discover and fine-tune my own ...

No comments: