Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Reinvent 2007

New year, new resolutions.

Hosted my first New Year's party, which was fun - though not as much fun as last year's tiny bubbles imbibe-a-thon in Alabama. Course as a result of the 2005-2006 excesses I found myself ringing in 2006 with a drive to the grocery store to buy pedialyte for a very hungover, sick friend. Not what a 30-something singleton expects to be doing - driving a minivan and hanging out in the baby aisle of the grocery store ... needless to say beer was the beverage du jour for 2006-2007. Not as lively, but no sickies on Jan 1.

This year's crowd was a broad range of ages - from 17 months to nearly 60 years. The ro-tel dip was the biggest hit - the slow cooker wiped clean well before midnight. Unfortunately many, many tortilla chips are left behind with no dip. Quite tragic as I never knew how tasty hot tomatoes & velveta could be. Don't think I'll diss the manchego for it, but perhaps they can coexist peacefully in my fridge.

Also, 5/6 of the UF was present and accounted for on New Years Eve, which was wonderful, though our time together was far too short. I miss having AJ, Jbo and VP in STL. VP was - for the second year in a row - hospitalized and/or recuperating over New Years! Last year was appendicitis, this year was a salmonella-induced bone infection. She's working her way to becoming a case on the "House" series. Once she gets past the recovery, I think she should look into a job on staff for "House."

I'm procrastinating on my resolutions. I have, however, resolved to be more realistic so that they are actually achievable (if that's a word) - this in turn requires a little more thought than the annual "eat healthy, exercise more" adage which only lasts for a few weeks.

I also am single again. I'm not sure about this whole internet dating gig. I did it before, it worked out well, but putting myself out there again is a little daunting and discouraging. It's only been about a week but the first two internet goobs that have contacted me were discouraging. I'm trying to be open minded, not judge a book by its cover, yadda yadda ... but one had a gap between his two front teeth that could fit the dental floss case - not just the dental floss - in between them; and the other - well - cheesy and weird sum him up. So, deep breaths and patience. And an effort to look for the bright side - wherever in the hell that is.

No comments: