Thursday, July 20, 2006

Summer Storm

So last night we had a big summer storm. Half million homes in St Louis are without power, homes north of interstate 70 are under boil order, and my office, for the first time in 20 years, is closed. Yipee for that though my home has no air co either.

My little old house stayed pretty cool last night - under 80 - and the pooch and I slept well. This afternoon I stopped by again and it's over 80 inside but the old tree and bricks (despite poor insulation) are keeping it fairly cool. Thank heavens I have some dear friends, who have air conditioning - welcoming me & the canine into their homes. This afternoon I'm over at SAB's and we're half-watching some very bad 70s tv on the Game Show Network. My dog has stopped growling/sniffing at her dogs so it's a chillfest for the moment.

Driving around the area last night and today has been interesting. There are huge trees down in my neighborhood - luckily not my old black walnut. Many, many of the stoplights are dark, not even flashing red, traffic is slow going everywhere and trees/branches are down everywhere. It's amazing how short the storm was, but how powerful.

No comments: