Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Geek Love

I've recently started another voracious book reading cycle. I've had a break the past few months, instead reading random magazines and short stories. But now I seem to be back on the wagon - reading before I go to bed and sometimes trying to sneak in another chapter before work. The latest book, which was nominated for a National Book Award in the 1980s, was Geek Love.

It was on loan from my friend R who let me borrow it a year or two ago. It's been a bit of a challenge as when she offered it up last year she mentioned that I'd declined it in the past. So of course I decided to take another stab at it and these past two weeks have been engrossed in the book.

I think that I expected it to be a cross between Pretty in Pink and Less Than Zero.

It's not.

It's odd. A bit like watching a horrible accident and the aftermath. But pretty much a page turner.

Did you know that the word "geek" originates from the carnival world? I didn't. Apparently it's the person who does gross things like biting off chicken heads as entertainment. I guess you could say the "geek" is the precursor to Ozzy Osbourne's live bat gig on stage. . .

I like how the author deals with very common themes - family issues - but in a very unique way. The parents are 'norms' who willingly abuse alcohol, drugs and other toxic substances to breed the next generation of carny performers. The offspring and the family dynamics form the core of the story in such a bizarre way. It's horrible, but inventive.

I can't say I loved it. And I do think at times the author changed perspectives and lost me a little as to who was narrating at the time.

But if nothing else, it was certainly original. It left an impression. I'm glad I don't know anyone like Arty but would've liked to have known Chick.

If anyone else comes across this post and has read it - please share your comments. I'm very curious to hear other's impressions and to discuss further.

No comments: