Thursday, July 13, 2006

Hiss Hiss

So my friend V is gallivanting around Europe on vacation for two weeks and I've offered to check in on her cat.

I've never been a fan of cats but I've grown to have a healthy respect for the creatures, although I prefer dogs. They're less finicky and fickle compared to their feline friends. My tendency to treat cats like dogs more often than not gets me clawed or nipped.

Anyway, this is the end of week one of trying to keep the cat company. I'm learning - or rather the cat is conditioning my behavior. I haven't been scratched since the first visit, which I consider a measure of success.

My goal for week two is to have the cat sit on my lap. V told me where the 'sweet spot' is on the couch and I've been sitting in it and feeding her cat treats. Just trying to be pals and get the cat to warm up to me. (Boy, this sounds like I really need a life - I'm blogging about my goal and it's about a CAT!)

Anyway, back to the cat. Either she's desperate for some human interaction and decided that I'll just have to suffice, or I'm growing on her. Guessing it's the former, she's just tolerating me as a temporary replacement and reserving the right to be aloof and cranky at any time.

Which is why I have my unconditional canine.

Dogs rule.

No comments: