Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Depends, on the Dog

So I'm dating this new guy. And my pooch, very much accustomed to being the center of attention, is adapting. Several times we've (me and the dog) gone over to his house to visit.

In some ways she's been great - no growling, barking or biting - but in other ways she's expressed a certain level of, let's just say, dissatisfaction.

The first time we were over he couldn't understand why I wouldn't leave Ru (the dog) alone in his house. "What could she do," SDG asked, "it's a bachelor pad?"

I couldn't form the words for a proper response. So Ru responded, 30 minutes into the visit, by squatting on his brand new carpet. Carpet that has never felt canine paws before that night, much less hot liquid sinking into the fibers.

I hadn't expected she would show her disdain by becoming The Urinator. As a deaf-mute, I stood there in disbelief. Right in front of me she had peed. My (allegedly) perfect dog, with that sweet face and calm disposition. My dog, a spoiled dog-child deprived of attention for an entire half hour.

I let her outside to give her the opportunity to void any other materials and then resumed the visit. By the way, SDG was great about it. Not sure I would be as cool if the roles were reversed.

Like clockwork, 30 minutes later, was a repeat performance. This time I managed to utter some words before putting her outside. The Resolve bottle came back out along with the paper towels. My head was about to explode as the two beings I most wanted to get along were striking a few discordant notes.

Fortunately that ended Ru's silent strike on SDG's home. For that visit.

The second visit lasted three whole hours before she wet the carpet. So, it's an improvement and perhaps now it's simply a training phase.

I think we're finally getting it under control. Last week during the power outage we camped out over there in the air conditioning and never needed the Resolve.

Phew. Didn't want to have to choose between dog and man ...

No comments: