Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Whoops ...

Well, thank heavens today ended better than it started. Two nights in a row I schlepped a pile of work home and didn't do it. Each morning as I careen to work (tardy, as usual, with sunroof open to blow dry my hair en route), I feel a little guilt about it and then rationalize that having to carry it across the highway into work is punishment enough.

In addition to today's morning of guilt and typical late arrival to work, I speed walked across the parking lot. Halfway up the hill, I heard someone call my name. I looked back to see my car no longer in its parking spot. My car was in the middle of the aisle, in fact.

Luckily it had stopped coasting and had not hit anything. Being late and having to park in the flat section was actually a blessing today! (I can rationalize anything apparently...)

For some reason I walked back to the car ever so slowly, at a much slower pace than my departure. Why I didn't feel a sense of urgency, who knows. It was certainly shocking.

I threw my pile of files and papers onto the sloping blacktop, slid into the car, rolled it back into its parking spot and put on the parking brake. This time. Always a good thing to do in a stick shift, but for some reason I broke habit today.

Of course a few other wonky things happened while walking into work but no major catastrophes, just close calls.

I'm not normally superstitious, but today I was.

And now I'm home. The car brake is on. Nothing's burning. My smoke alarms have new batteries. The gate is closed. The dog's in for the night. The doors are locked.

Phew.

No comments: