Monday, August 21, 2006

Men Only?

You've got to be kidding me.

I'm working on my essay submission for writers group and took a moment to check the headlines. Nothing out of the ordinary, really, but one headline just hit me.

I should probably start by saying that the essay I'm writing is about a mix of things - one of which concerns the ugandously insipid topic of religion. It goes without saying that this is a very personal topic, with a deluge of different interpretations and beliefs.

But (rant begins here), one thing I struggle with is intolerance. Intolerance of other people's beliefs in particular and the dangerous reaction when mixed with a so-called literal interpretation of the Bible or any other work that forms the basis of a religion.

One key objection I have to certain organized religions concerns gender. When the leaders of a religion must be male and only male, when females are not given the same opportunities, my normally tranquil feminist attitudes fly off the handle.

Here's the latest absurdity Sunday School Teacher Dumped for Being Female.

Basically this woman has been a Sunday School teacher for the past 50+ years and suddenly the obviously infallible (not) leader - whatever his title (reverend, preacher, or master of his domain) has decided this is no longer appropriate.

Equally troubling is the fact that he is also in local government ... which reinforces my anxiety when it comes to the ever-dwindling separation of church and state.

On a personal note, a friend encountered such discrimination. Granted, this does not mean the entire religion is flawed, but demonstrates how important balance is within leadership of any organization (religious or other) is. Raised as Jehovah Witness, my friend J married someone in the religion, as recommended. When her husband suddenly left her, the elders in her church (who happened to all be male), judged her. Until her ex-husband admitted to adultery, she was the sinner in the eyes of her congregation - to a certain extent. She was treated differently, judged, and at risk for being excommunicated/disfellowshiped. Basically her support system - family, friends and spiritual foundation - were in jeopardy. Once her ex came forward, she was forgiven though it left an indelible mark on her faith. Understandably so. Granted this is second-hand and biased, but such incidents make me indignant. They reinforce my harsh impressions of most organized religions and my reluctance to get back into a church-going ritual ... ever.

I could go on & on about religion and women's rights, but I'd much rather hear from you. Any thoughts, opinions, comments welcome.

In the meantime, now that there is color in my cheeks and an increase in beats per minute, I'm going to focus this fervor into my essay which is due in nearly 48 hours ... and needs much more work!

No comments: