Thursday, August 03, 2006

Creativity

Last weekend I went to a reception at a local gallery. It was out in commie land but a great venue so worth the trek.

While there, I spoke with one of the artists about her process. She said that she comes up with the title of the painting first, and then paints it. So it's a concept, a witty title, then a creation.

As I flounder around with the art of writing, her process intrigued me. I struggle with the title - it's usually one of the last things I do before submitting it. More like an afterthought than an integral part of the creation. Which made her order all the more intriguing.

Her titles were witty, a bit tongue-in-cheek, and the paintings themselves were humorous commentaries on life.

Obviously there is more than one way to create, and what works for one person may not work for another, but I appreciated gaining a little insight into her process, routine, and seeing the fruits of her labor.

No comments: