Sunday, August 13, 2006

Aaaaahhhh

Very nice weekend. It felt like it was longer than two days, which was excellent. My buddy Jbo was in town so hung out with her - brunch, shopping, drinks out, etc. Also had really great dates with SDG.

This week MJ comes for a visit, so it's a month of UF reunions. Quality time with some of my dearest friends can't be beat.

Saw "Little Miss Sunshine" - I highly recommend it. Great cast, funny and quirky as hell. It manages that fine balance of addressing serious themes, spiked with large amounts of humor. Plus you can't not love the character Olive and Alan Arkin is great as the grandfather. It reminded me a bit of "The Royal Tenenbaums" in that it's about a dysfunctional family, has some great music, and an ensemble of actors/characters all muddling their way through life. I can't say there are many other parallels but to a certain degree, in spirit, they are similar. And, I'd be interested in seeing both again (and again, eventually).

Also started reading "Treasure Island" by Robert Louis Stevenson for the first time. I'm really enjoying it. After reading a few contemporary books back-to-back about dysfunctional families, societal issues and rather heavy themes ("Geek Love," "Running with Scissors," and "Random Family"), reading about pirates, rum, tropical islands and hidden treasure provides a welcome respite. Although I've had some very odd, vivid dreams after reading a chapter before dozing off. The blind pirate in particular made a rapid leap from the page to my dreams. Creepy dude.

And now it's time to do the practical weekend stuff - laundry, some groceries, etc. Back to the grind manana.

Ta ta.

No comments: