Wednesday, April 05, 2006

What Were You Doing Ten Years Ago?

I came across this question recently, somewhere, and it got me thinking - just what was I doing ten years ago, today?

I was 24, living in an apartment, third year of full time work, post-college. I'd just met SAB at work and MJ was just graduating from HS (I think). In one month's time I would be heading to Switzerland for work (yodel-lay-hee-hoo).

At the time, happy hours were common practice. I was hanging out with some friends from college and a pal from high school. Dancing till dawn and sleeping till noon on the weekends were also fairly common. I spent my fair share of weekends in a basement bar (reminiscent of a frat house basement) dancing like a fool to a cover band. When I first started working, my hours were 9-5:30. I remember once staying out till like 3 or 4am (of course breakfast at Uncle Bill's was involved) on a weeknight and dozing off in traffic on the way to work. Yup, early 20s. Good times. Good memories. Can't do all of that so much anymore, don't want to do it all that often anymore either.

At one point in the mid 90s I was even in a bocce ball league. It was pretty fun - we played after the old Italian men played. We were more serious about the drinking and talking rather than the competition. I remember crushing on one of the guys in the league. He'd ride his bike from his house to the bar on the Hill, which I thought was pretty cool. He owned his own house, was totally into music, and had a rather wise-ass demeanor. Anyway, after the buildup, when we finally kissed - it just wasn't there. It was like biting into a rice cake when you're expecting dark chocolate. Funny thing, chemistry.

No comments: