Monday, April 10, 2006

Cherokee Nation

This weekend I went to a Pow Wow. A sentence I never thought I'd utter, till now. Never thought about attending one and had my doubts about it beforehand, but I did enjoy it. The costumes, dances, and drumming were all fascinating. And I didn't feel like I was in St. Louis - the feeling of being transported to another place or time, albeit temporarily, is always magical.

There was more variety in costumes and dances than I anticipated. The coolest costumes were the Aztecs with their 2-3 foot long colorful plumes sprouting from their headdress. It was impressive. My other favorites were the circular shaped attachment on one tribe's costumes. It was made of brown and light blue feathers. If I could've bought it I would now have it hanging in my home as decor. Probably somewhat sacrilegious to them, but I couldn't help imagining it hanging on my wall.

No comments: