Monday, May 15, 2006

Sleep walking

How bad is it that my last two posts were bitching about bitching? Bad! Sometimes it must be done. Even if it is annoyingly ironic.

Tonight driving home from work in my quirky little neighborhood, I saw a common sight - a man walking his dog. When I sit in my living room on the sofa by the front windows, watching tv and surfing the internet, I'll often see dogs and their owners stroll by. But tonight, as I pulled up to one of the many stop signs in my area, I saw a dog walker with the most eye-catching outfit.

If I didn't know better, I'd have said he was homeless.

The owner's mismatched outfit nearly distracted me from coming to a full stop. The first alarming aspect were his bottoms. Brightly colored die, each the size of his hand, were printed on them. If I had to guess, I'd say they were flannel pajama bottoms. Red, black and white pajama bottoms with large dice, in action.

I didn't catch the shoes, so guessing they weren't fuzzy slippers. Instead my eyes naturally gravitated upwards to his chambray button up shirt, complete with snag-looking holes, as if he'd been jousting with a thorny tree.

And crowning his ensemble was the black skull cap. The cap covered the top of his head and his ears. On top of his helmet like cap, he wore a tiara in the form of bright yellow headphones. A finishing touch.

I wonder, does he cover his ears with a cap to muffle the music? With all the buzz about hearing loss from ear buds and headphones, is he attempting to protect his ear drums?

As I lifted my foot from the brake and pushed on the accelerator, my eyes lingered on the rear view mirror for one last glimpse.

As for the dog, I have no idea what it looked like ... but I'm fairly certain that there was a dog, attached to the leash, attached to the man with the fascinating outfit. I think.

No comments: