Monday, May 22, 2006

Cruising

At age 16 I started driving the '65 Stang. Luckily I never wrecked it, though I did slide in the rain across a road, nearly ending up on the sidewalk once.

There was also the time that I managed to drive over a yellow & black sign and almost hit a neighbor's fence. I think I was 17. I remember driving by that bent up sign for weeks, but didn't say a word. I remember my Dad noticing some paint damage on the underside of the convertible when we were washing it, months later. I'm not sure I owned up to what happened - probably denied it, playing dumb, even though I was the only one driving it, except for him.

As an only child I remember getting blamed for various things around the house - crayon marks on the wall, spilled Kool Aid on the floor, unmade bed, etc. It really sucked as I had no one to frame except my dog. I did peg her for several acts, even though she was all of seven pounds and canine. Never hurts to try, right?

This weekend I started up ol' Betsy - the Mustang - for the first time this spring. Amazingly, she started. 41 years old and still runs well. Granted she's had her share of paint jobs, replacement parts and tune ups; her share of flooding engines, butterfly choke issues, rough idling and a certain rattle & hum ride. But she's much simpler to trouble shoot when she stalls. Once in high school she died and I rolled into the shoulder. My parents were out of town, I didn't know about AAA, and had to call my Grandmother. While I waited at the nearby donut shop, an older gentleman taught me about the butterfly choke and all was well. I went on my way.

This weekend the urban family went for an afternoon drive and a stop for a round of root beer floats. It was really nice to take the car for a spin. Two members of the UF are leaving this summer - moving away from STL - which means that 50% of the UF will soon live out of town. J left last year (AL), now M & V are abandoning ship (CO & MA respectively).

Of course, we'll still be close, just not in terms of proximity. I'll miss our Thursday night UFSs, our occasional rampages, our weekends at the cabin, apple picking & kettle korn in IL, and the simple luxury of spending time together spontaneously and frequently.

Onwards with the memory-making and entering a new phase in our friendships. Unlike the weaning from my best friends in college who moved out of state, nowadays long distance calls are inexpensive and email is widespread. Plus I am actually not a broke 21-year old making barely enough to live on my own, buy clothes, food and go out.

Good times, good times.

No comments: