Monday, January 30, 2006

Just Another Manic ...

Monday. Just took a great 80's music quiz online. Course I did worse than I expected because I'm horrible with lyrics. I recognized so many of them but couldn't fill in the blanks correctly. So I got a 70 - a C. Had the test been structured differently I could have totally got an A. I'm such an 80s music fan. I LOVED music from that decade. It was when I started listening to music, forming my musical tastes (or lack thereof), when MTV came into existence, yadda yadda yadda.

Speaking of music, what was your first concert? Mine was A-Ha, those hot Norwegian boys who were a bit of a one hit wonder with "Take On Me." Boy, did I love them. I had their cassette tape and knew all of the songs (even if I didn't know the correct lyrics). My local record store even gave me a special version of thier hit single - complete with the cartoon drawings that were in the video. Sooo cool. I'd still have it (and yes, treasure it) except it didn't end up moving with (or at least) staying in the collection when the dad remarried. I lost all of the records/singles that I owned. Course this was in the day when cassette tapes were the new medium so I didn't miss the vinyl so much and didn't bother to keep an eye on it.

There is something great about vinyl, those big album covers and their designs, the sleeve inside, etc. My first 45 (I think) was "The Tide is High" by Blondie. I bought it after going to a birthday party in 4th grade where danced in her basement to all of these quintessential 80s songs. We played that single many times that afternoon.

From my mom's collection (all things 60s with a few 80s), I remember listening to her records. Peppermint Twist, Runaround Sue, Donna Summer, Pointer Sisters, Way Way Tenango (may be mispelling), and so much more.

Music is such a great, freeing, energizing medium. If I had extraneous cash I'd set up a superb sound system with my iPod (or several iPods) and load them up with tons more music. Currently I have 975 songs on my iPod nano, and it'll only take 1000. Each month since I bought it I import some of my cds and spend $10-20 on other songs from their music store. It's addictive, easy and fun.

Well, enough rambling - just did my ten minutes of writing (though more like talking than a structured, composed piece). Ta ta for now.

No comments: