Thursday, January 01, 2009

{Writing Prompt} In My Next Life - Part Two

When Debbie breaks up with Chip, I'm more upset than he is. Debbie promises we'll still hang out, but we don't. I see her at the mall once in awhile, with her new boyfriend or a bunch of her cheerleader friends. I try not to stare.

Sophie begins wearing thick black eyeliner and looking ghostly. She buys black hair dye at Sally Beauty while I stock up on peroxide. She loves grunge music and bums cigarettes as a freshmen while I play varsity field hockey and cruise around with my best friend Judy, a junior. Judy has a brand new convertible. It's red. In the winter we go tanning after school. Looking back now, we both resemble the pumpkin hue of oompa loompas.

Chip gets a DUI during his first year at junior college. Our parents take away his 1985 Trans Am. I get to drive it for several months. It's loud - rumbling down the street. I have to drive Sophie to school. We fight over what station plays on the radio. She jumps out of the car as quickly as possible, disassociating herself from the car and me. It's still better than the bus, for both of us.

Chip's latest girlfriend, Maggie, drives him around. She's pretty, but empty headed. Ever since Debbie his choice of girlfriends has gone downhill. As does his grades.

During my senior year I try out for the musical. I'm only in the chorus, but it's fun. I start dating Carl, the leading man. He's dreamy. Everyone in school likes him. In the summer he performs at The Palace at Six Flags. I go at least once a week to see him and we ride roller coasters in between performances. Afterwards we sneak into a dive bar that doesn't card and drink pints of ale and smoke.

Carl and I break up in July. He spends too much time with his best friend Bobby. In fact he's all he talks about. It's kind of weird.

Chip drives me to college. I'm only two hours away from home, but every mile counts. By then he's fixed his muffler, so the Trans Am isn't as embarrassingly loud. We can't see out the rear windows because I've packed his car with everything possible. He reminds me that I'm only 100 miles away, but I don't care. I'm not planning on going back to my hometown much. I'm going to live in this big city. Reinvent myself.

No comments: