Friday, July 03, 2009

Guns, Girls & Steamed Vegetables

I have a healthy respect for, and discomfort with, guns. Displayed in museums, especially when there is historic significance, is one thing. Behind glass - ok. Handheld, on the ready - not so much.

At London Heathrow airport, I saw two officers carrying guns. I'm not sure if they were stun guns or not ... I do know that in general England does not allow citizens to own handguns. I like that. So it was a bit of a shock to see these two uniformed men, holding large guns, with both hands, across the front of their body.

The few other times I've seen a gun, live, handheld, and larger than a revolver - were also in foreign countries. At the Kremlin and Amman Airport. Each time the visual is very impactful. I can't say it makes me feel safer, it simply reminds me of the possibility of danger. Of the possible peril and thus assumed need to carry these rifles.

And yet one of my best friends is getting her permit to carry a concealed weapon. She has two little kids. She calls her gun "cute". I asked if it was pink.

It's not, if you were curious.

In my early 20s a friend who was/is a nurse, mind you, got a gun. I thought it was ridiculous. And awful. And yet more recently my friend with the "cute" gun wasn't quite as awful.

Ten years ago I had absolutely no interest in firing a gun. Ever. Heck, I even drafted the first few paragraphs of this post three years ago. I feel a little less repulsed by guns but still have a healthy fear (respect) and personally don't want to own a gun. And yet three months ago, in Hawaii no less, I shot clay pigeons with a Beretta 28 gauge. Or maybe it was a 20. Either way it was big, heavy, and interesting to fire. At most posts I was able to hit at least one of the clay pigeons, which was oddly satisfying for the first few times. After awhile I'd satisfied my curiosity and was content to just tag along for the ride till we returned back at the main office and could snag a soda from the cooler.

So, what does this mean? What's my point? I guess that our attitudes, tastes, opinions can change over time. Just like how I hated spinach as a child and now I consume voluntarily. While guns are more like broccoli for me (a little goes a long way, and raw not cooked), I am intrigued by my shift, albeit smallish, in my perception of guns.

No comments: